Scaffolding systems have a long history and you can imagine how much they’ve changed ever since first of their kind was made. What remains unchanged is the way to operate, but these systems have seen some amazing technological advancements. Unlike traditional systems, modern ones have become more of a requirement in this age,because of the capable machineries used at construction sites.
Tabular structures are quite common and there are quite a few companies offering scaffolding systems for sale.Scafom North America is one of the best Scaffolding System Suppliers Company in Canada that offers steel and aluminum structures for sale. These materials are light yet can withstand considerable amount of force and weight. You can give us a callif you’re interested in working with us.
Basic scaffolding design consists of only three elements; Ledger, Upright and Transom.
• Ledgerbrings more strength and stability to the structure.Ledgers in the scaffolding are connected horizontally to the uprights, making 90-degree angle. They are connected at a certain distance from each other depending on the overall height of the system. The higher the structure, ledgers will be placed closer, for more strength.
• Uprights are the vertical tubular lines used to transfer structure’s weight to the ground. They can hold more than one floor together. In short, if there’s a problem with these vertical lines, the entire structure will be affected.
• Transomsare the platforms resting on top of the ledgers, providing a walking path. They also provide offer stability to the scaffolding. Some systems feature mobile transformsthat can be lifted from one floor to another by means of ropes. Workers can simply move higher or lower through the rope transmission.
Scaffolding Safety Elements
Why Safety is Important
• During the period 2003-2006, 602 people died due to slipping on the scaffolding, only in the United States.
• 72% of the workers involved in scaffold accidents said that the leading causes were planking, support giving way, falling objects or slipping.
• This year, in March, a scaffold collapsed in Raleigh, North Carolina. The incidentresulted in three deaths.
No matter how much you take care, safety is not just enough.Anyhow, if you follow rules and regulations of OHSA, you can certainly reduce chances of accidents. Manyscaffolding suppliers in Canada comply with OSHA and match their safety requirements.OSHA also charges heavy fines on those who do not comply. It fined British Petroleum with 81 million dollars. This is done to avoid dangers in scaffolding systems.
Some risks include:
• In adequate cross bracing
• Bridging of Scaffolding
• Absence of guardrails
• Difficult access to scaffold
• Low quality transforms
Guardrail or Fall Arrest
Different scaffold have different requirements, depending upon the category. One may require guardrail or a fall arrest or even both.
• Arial Life and Needle Beam require personal fall arrest
• Chicken Ladder requires either fall arrest or guardrail
• Single or Two Point requires both fall arrest and guardrail
What you can do
• Make sure to check the scaffold daily, including the routine check before and after the work.
• Apart from the scaffolds, also pay attention to those electrical wires that can be hazardous.
• Use brace between work structure and scaffolding system